Sunday, February 24, 2013

Review: Another Pan

Another PanTitle: Another Pan
Author: Daniel and Dina Nayeri
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication date: October 25th 2011
Pages: 400
Format: Hardback

When I first saw the cover in book stores I knew I just had to have it! A Peter Pan story? Gimme Gimme!

I am so glad I picked this book up a few years ago (yes, that is how long its has been sitting on my bookshelves.)

There are a few things that I want to clarify first before I go any further into this review. A) You aren't going to get a step by step Peter Pan retelling B) You are going to get similarities but that is about it C) The similarities being character names, the Lost Boys, and Peter Pan never growing up.

That all said, if you're hoping for a Peter Pan retelling that is similar to the original story, you are not going to get Captain Hook, mermaids, or flying. But hey, you are still getting a Peter Pan :)

Overall, this book was pretty good, despite not being as close to the original I was hoping for. I really did like how the authors incorporated the original, by taking character names and ideas, and twisting and turning and adding a little bit of pixie dust to it to make there own version.

The story about bone dust and Egyptians was quite intriguing, so I really enjoyed these aspects. Egyptians in history class was always my favorite subject so when I read about the Egyptian stories in this book, I was even more intrigued.  If you find Egyptian history a bore, you will probably not enjoy this one as much. It is jammed pack with Egyptian-awesomeness.

The plot was interesting and fast paced. I was turning page from page eager to find out what happens next.

Like I said before, I really enjoyed this book, BUT, I really didn't enjoy the ending. I'm not going to spoil the ending or anything, but I will point out that the authors end the book with Peter Pan being an a-hole. Yes, a big one. I couldn't believe this! I even read back over a few pages to make sure I wasn't just imagining this. Who in their right mind would EVER end a book with Peter Pan being an a-hole? Seriously? Peter Pan is my all time favorite story, so when they did that I was pissed!

Still a five star rating though, just because I love the plot and characters so much :)


 photo 5star.png




1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I am a new follower. I love the pig's pic. :)
    Here is my blog if you want to take a look http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^