Thursday, July 5, 2012

Discussion: Why I don't like LOVE TRIANGLES...!

So recently I've been on the hunt for really great books to read during the summer (not that I don't have A LOT to get through now, but you know, I can't help myself). Anyways, as I was reading the synopsis of a few books on Goodreads, I couldn't help but CRINGE! Jeesh was there ever a vast amount of books that seemed to include love triangles!

Now let me ask you, what is the purpose of a love triangle? Is it there to piss me off? Create suspense? Give the book that extra "umphh?"

No!

I'll tell you what it's for... it's for authors who love to torment their readers by giving the character two love interests.

Okay... who in the world agrees with someone with TWO freaking love interests? It's like cheating, and I don't know about you, but I think cheating is the most disgusting thing a human being can do to another human being. One minute the character is out kissing and thinking about one person, and the next their out kissing or thinking or doing whatever with the other. Really? Is that really appropriate?

I don't mean to rant here, but c'mone. Can't an author find some other way to create suspense or "umphh?" I get sick of having my hopes up that a character ends up with a certain guy, especially one she/he worked really hard to get, but then turn around and freaking make out with another!

Here's my philosophy: If you really loved someone, you wouldn't be thinking or kissing someone else behind their back... simple as that!

For example, Luce from Fallen. If she truly loved Daniel, why was she kissing her best guy friend (for the love of me I can't remember his name)? Hmm? Doesn't she care oh-so-much about him? If so, then  maybe she shouldn't be kissing some other guy! So she was at a confused time, that doesn't mean you go around kissing other people!

Another example: Zara from Need. She works SO freaking hard to be with Nick, and him with her, yet here I am finding out about some "other" guy that she probably ends up with... WTF? When this sort of thing happens it makes me feel like I wasted my time. I went through all that trouble of reading about Zara and Nick trying to be together, just for them NOT end up together? Again, WTF?

Anyways, that is just MY opinion.

What do you guys think? Do you think what the hey, it's just the book, or do you dislike them like me? I'd love yo know!

(Please don't hurt me for having my own opinion. If you want to go ahead a rant in the comments about how I'm wrong and blah blah blah, go right ahead :) I'd love to hear what you have to say!)

Until Next time,


4 comments:

  1. I love posts like these. I have to say I agree with you in the sense that it's overdone and tired and I'm quite frankly bored with it. Love triangles do nothing for me as a reader, except for- if it's a long, drawn out love triangle- separate the fans into teams, which, if I'm being honest I find bizarre, I was never really a huge Twilight fan (please, don't shoot me!) but I did read the saga, but the whole time, thinking "If it's alright with you, I'd like to see who Bella chooses before I do, thank you very much."
    I will say though, that a love triangle is often used to represent some inner torment. It's often kind of... symbolic of something else going on in the character's life, and I think once we start involving symbolism and satire it becomes... well rather confusing actually, but if done right it can be interesting.
    Haha, hope that made sense.
    www.dogearedandcoffeestained.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm thinking of doing more discussion posts as I love hearing other people's opinions on things.

      I just never got the point in separating fans into teams. Who cares! Is my opinion. It just makes me frustrated because when that person doesn't end up with the person you want them to, it kind of hearts and makes me feel like I wasted my time.

      And I agree with you on the whole torment thing. It's just sometimes authors take it further and to me it ends up looking like cheating, you know? Like okay, if their not dating either or than I can see the torment and I'm okay with that. BUT if she/he is already with someone else and their constantly thinking of the other, well that kind of ticks me off.

      Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  2. I sometimes hate them, and sometimes I can see how it happens. When its just some floozy who can't make up her mind and wants the best of both worlds (such as, The Vampire Diaries, Twilight, etc) its annoying. When its more situation (like say, Delirium) I can see that. I won't talk about how I can see that, in case you (or anyone else) hasn't read it.
    They are getting kind of overdone lately, or it seems that way anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how it happens sometimes, but more often than not in the books I've read recently it just ends up pissing me off and coming off as unnecessary. It is SO annoying, eh? No need to create an entire story line on who she/he ends up with!

      I haven't yet read Delirium (though I am VERY soon) but I'll have to read and find out how that love triangle works.

      So overdone! I see them a lot, and its annoying. I'd like for once for a character to just like one guy/girl, and JUST that guy/girl :)

      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^