Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Review: The Virgin Cure

Title: The Virgin Cure
Author: Ami Mckay
Pages: 400
Format: Print/Hardcover
Published: October 25th 2011
Publisher: Knopf Canada

How long has it been, dear Mckay, have I been awaiting the publication of this amzing book? Two years, I tell you, two years. Alas, it has been published, read and now I will review it. The Birth House has been my all time favorite book, Ami Mckay was sure to win my favoritism again with this one.

The Virgin Cure by Ami Mckay was an amazing, beautiful and meaningful book about friendship and the ever undying journey of finding oneself. To begin this journey of self-discovery, we learn of Moth, a twelve year old girl who is sold to be the maid of the cruel and abusive Mrs. Wentworth. After being abondoned by her father, and then her mother, Moth is left alone. First waiting upon Mrs. Wentworth, with the help of Nestor, she is able to escape. But that is only the beginning.

Soon she finds herself at a brothel, owened and operated by Miss Everett, who only uses the girls for her establishment as profit. The men who "bid" on the girls, such as Moth, pay and then "have" the girl, however, who must be "clean." Through this, Moth befriends a physcian, Dr. Sadie, who warns and attemtps to remove Moth from the world Miss. Everett is offering.

This was an extraordinary read I feel so preivileged to have read. It was inspiring and heart breaking. It evidently left me thinking about Moth's life. How scared she must have been, at twelve, alone, introduced into a world full of "whores." Ah, and the writing was just beautiful. The point of view of Moth was refreshing and eye-opening. Ami Mckay is a beautiful writer who really uses descriptive words to interpret the emotions and going-on`s of the time. Historical fiction is about reliving the past, which only a good writer can accomplish. Mckay is amongst them!

Fiction books have that extra special favoritism to me. They can teach you so much about our past, opening our eyes to the changes and advances we have made. Women have come along way since the times of 1871. Ami Mckay does a beautiful job at creating a past world, transporting our minds there, reminding us of the hard and sorrow times our ancestors once lived. Personally, I am thankful for our changing times. To be twelve, alone, living in a house where you are trained to win the affection of men just sickens me.

This was a worthwhile read. If you are a historical fiction lover, as am I, you will love this book.

Prepare to be moved by the story of a little girl named Moth. 

Rating: 5 curly pig tails

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^