Thursday, October 27, 2011

Review: The Replacement

Title: The Replacement
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Pages: 343
Format: Book (Hard covered)
Publication date: September 21st 2010


I am glad I decided to pick this book up during the Halloween month. With Halloween only 4 days around the corner, this was the perfect spine- chilling, hair-rising read.

Mackie is a peculiar sixteen year old boy. He is, after all, not like you and me. Except, he is. As long as he drinks the medicine his sisters friend, Janice, provides for him, he is able to live like any some-what normal teenage boy.

I loved Mackie. He was totally awesome. You couldn't relate to him, at all. Usually readers tend to try and relate to the characters in a book, but in this case you couldn't. Dare I say it, he is a monster. The ugly kind that has rotting skin. Actually, he is pretty normal looking, aside from the dark eyes and out of place blond hair, I thought he was handsome! There are different types of beautiful. Society tends to coin it as perfect complections, slim bodies, certain face structures. In this book you see the different forms beautiful can take. Just because Mackie wasn't exactly like a perfect human, he was still beautiful in his own way. This goes for the blue girls and the Cutter!

The story line of this book was so creative, witty and refreshing; I couldn't help but be amazed someone could have thought of such an ugly society. It was dark and creepy, yet so beautiful. I know, I'm repeating myself here, but it really was beautiful. This was Brenna's first novel. Brova to you. The descriptive sentences and rounded characters were perfect, scary, ugly, revolting, yet so creative and imagineable. I couuld picture exactly how everyone looked.

Now, I have to say a few words about Roswell because he is the bestest friend anyone could ask for. As much as I loved Mackie (maybe had a crush on him), Roswell quickly climbed the crush-o-meter with each new chapter he was feautred in. He is the ultimate best friend. Are you severely allergic to metals and iron? Go into complete shock? Ultimately, you look like an idiot when you do? Roswell is the type of friend who would get you out of the mess. Lie, and totally be cool with it himself. Hey, he even did some grave robbing. What more could you ask for in a friend?  Brenna has now created, for me, the ideal friend. Now, if only I could find a Roswell, I'd be set. I think we could all use a Roswell in our life.

This was a great Halloween read. If you're looking for some creepy Halloween reads, this is perfect! Read in the dark with a flash light, just like her sister states on the books cover! Definitely read this!

Rating: 5 curly pig tails

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^